Coffee and Huggbees

18 January, 2007

7,000 Tiny Bullets And Coffee Exploits

It's amazing how much your mind wanders when you're set to do repetitive tasks and have no idea what it is your actually doing. Especially when you only understand maybe 1/4 of what people are saying around you.

So today I worked in the clean room again, which honestly, I enjoy. The work I do in there doesn't seem like busy work, since other people are doing it too. Plus, I get to talk about punk music and hardcore, not to mention get away from Crotch Fat and Muppet.

So I go to the room, and Kid Boss gives me and this other guy instructions. Kid Boss looks like he's maybe 13, but has this weird superiority attitude sometimes, and takes everything really seriously. I piss him off by yelling things in English at him, then pretending it wasn't me.

So our instructions are to use an air compressor to make sure there is no dust in these freshly-tefloned pipe pieces, then wrap them in aluminum foil and tape, sealing everything off. Ok, that's fine; I like arts and crafts, and this is pretty much like a giant stencil. And I do happen to have stencil making experience.

So me and this other guy clean them, then sit down to start wrapping them. I'm trying to think of a nickname for this guy, but nothing is coming to me. He's just really quiet. So I started thinking of calling him Mouse or something...but then the smell came. This kid just sat there, creating all sorts of new and horrible stenches. Now I HAD to incorporate this into his nickname. There's the immature names such as Silent Smell or something, but it just didn't fit. I look down at the table where there are these forms spread out, and I see it; Assy. It's some sort of abbreviation for some sort of coating, but it was just so perfect. So from now on, he's known as Assy to me.

Assy and I finish up the pipes, and go to lunch. Afterwards, we're given these tiny little things that look like rows of bullets. We're supposed to arrange them in this special grate for some reason that I have no idea. Since I also don't know what they are used for, I'll just assume they are bullets for tiny Japanese guns. I arranged about 7,000 of them. I spent the day imagining what sort of person carries such a tiny gun. I really should be more productive; like write songs while I'm doing this stuff...or something.

5 rolls around, and apparently I'm one of the few people that leave then. I meet the head honcho in the office, and the current president is there too. We talk for a bit, and I find out that I'll be working in the clean room for a couple more days. Fine with me. I find a shirt in the cafeteria that has my name on it, so I take it. They've given me 4 entire sets of clothing, plus shoes and jackets. Too bad they're all too short, and I'll never wear them unless I'm dealing with spraying actual teflon.

I head to the bus, hoping I can just catch the early bus. One leaves at 4:53, the other at 5:31. So obviously, I try to get out in time for the earlier one, but haven't made it so far. It's freezing outside, and me in a stylish undershirt and UT sweater, I try to find a vending machine with hot coffee in it. It isn't hard, so I figure I'll warm myself with the coffee so I can brave the cold for the next 30 minutes. There's about 7 varieties of coffee made by 1 company, and some are served hot, some cold. Being indecisive, I choose one at random. Stupid me, I choose one served cold. I wasn't even paying attention. So I drink my cold coffee, which gives me super shakes; a combined effect of the coffee and the cold.

I slowly walk back to the bus stop with nothing really to do, so I stare at cars. It's great. People think you can't see in cars, but when you stare right where they should be, they always have great expressions. Then some office girl comes by on her bike. Now I still haven't actually met her, but she works in the office, and makes a point to dangerously cross the street so she can pass by the bus stop I'm at. She always says something in Japanese, and I've taken it upon myself to say a new English phrase each day as she passes. Today it was something like "Drive Safe!" as she swerves against the wind on her bike. It's surprising how easily you can win people over here just by smiling at them, which really isn't a common thing. Most people just stare at the ground or look the other way in passing. At most, you might get a tiny bow. Screw that. I'm from Texas. We're known for being overtly friendly. Or something like that.

I get off a stop early to buy some more hangers. I need to wash clothes, but there's no dryer around, so I have to hang dry my clothes. I'm also not sure if I bought normal detergent, or bleach...I didn't read the word bleach anywhere on it, but I'll test it on a wash cloth and some white clothes first. OH. I can't read the washing machine either. Stupid Kanji. Another day, another adventure.

So on my way back, I almost cause a car accident! It was great! I'm walking along the sidewalk, and for the record, I'm probably the only non-Japanese person in about a 5-mile radius. Atleast. I'm the only non-Asian person in about a 9 or 10 mile radius. So I'm used to the looks I get. Well, on the sidewalk, some lady goes to turn into a drug store. I'm nowhere near the turn-in, so she doesn't stop for fear of hitting me, or someone else. She just stops and stares at me, half in the driveway, half in the street. A truck turns the corner blowing his horn. She finally comes to and pulls quickly into the driveway. I hope I made the old lady's day.

Every lunch, there are these three guys that study English everyday, and are really devoted to it. They've only been studying for about 3 months, but they're surprisingly good, and we hold conversations in English really well. So today we're practicing after lunch, when head honcho sneaks over with a camera. Suddenly, I'm swarmed by English learning people trying to squeeze into the picture. Something about the situation just doesn't sit well with me. I don't know, it kind of gives the wrong impression. I can just see them putting a picture like that in a newsletter or something saying "Our employees actively learn English with a native speaker," or "we employee international students to broaden our horizons." I did none of these things, nor was I asked to by the company. These are just three people that really want to learn English, and I need a break from trying to speak and understand Japanese every once in a while.

A completely separate, mildly unrelated thought: handling really delicate, expensive items and concentrating on wrapping them safely, while holding a conversation in an unfamiliar language is really hard to do. Incredibly difficult.

There's been a dramatic lack of any sort of alcohol over the past few days, and I miss the sweet nectar known as Japanese beer. Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow. Oh, and hopefully I can find a girl that lives nearby that has a western bed. That's really my only requirement at this moment. And preferably with short hair. And glasses. And, while we're at it, fairly tall. And American pillows, or atleast throw pillows on the couch. I'd never return to my apartment again.

I intended to take some pictures around my apartment, the area it's in and such, but seeing how it's dark, and painfully cold, I'll wait until Saturday or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home