Coffee and Huggbees

17 January, 2007

Later Sunday

Well, I had a fairly productive afternoon. I found out that Japan loves charging $5 bucks for 3 apples, although 3 very good looking apples, which I purchased. I also found out that walmart is a God send in America. Desperately needing an iron, ironing board, hangers, outlet adapter, and pillow, I had to go to 3 different stores. 2 of which are a good 30 minute bus/train ride away.

I wander around a bit more and find a general...junk shop. Inside, I find hangers and an ironing board, but no iron. Ofcourse. Because it's what I really need before tomorrow. I was happy to find hangers, though, so all the clothes on my floor could finally be put in my closet, although wrinkled. I go back and start hanging up my clothes.

I would like to note that in japan, they have a crazy system of trash distribution. You have three bags, one for burnable garbage, non-burnable, and recyclable. Well, isn't cardboard recyclable...AND burnable? It doesn't have a recyclable icon on it, though. I have no idea where it goes, and with all this new item purchasing and Japan's love for packaging material, I have a lot or garbage to distribute.

So I'm hanging up clothes when some crazy music starts playing. I'm not using the microwave, so it can't be that. Must be the doorbell. Oddly enough, the doorbell connects to a phone in the apartment, and phone with no numbers, and whose only purpose is to be used to talk to the person at the door...8 ft away.

Yohei arrives and I explain how desperately I need an iron. Off we go to Nagoya station. A bus and a train ride later, we wander around the station and find Bic Camera, where I buy the cheapest iron there, as well as a power adapter for my laptop. Yay! I still don't have internet, but atleast I can watch scrubs now and listen to music without worrying about the laptop dying. We then set out to find a pillow, which is a difficult procedure in Japan. Not so much that finding the pillow is hard, just finding one under $80 is difficult. Walmart, I miss you.

We go to a store that sells house goods and bedding, and the cheapest pillow I can find is $30, without a cover, and is bright pink. I'm about to purchase it when Yohei finds a bunch of throw pillows. Screw it, they're soft, not exactly normal sized for a pillow, but at $10 for the pillow and $10 for the cover, I'm fine with it. Hopefully my neck will be too.

We then make plans for tomorrow morning, my first day of work, but I'm still unsure of what those plans are at the moment. Yohei said that he and two other girls were going to come with me to my work, then take me to get a cell phone and my residence card. Now, from what I understood in Japanese, he said they would be at my apartment at 7:37am. Well, the bus I need to be on leaves at that exact time, so now I'm curious if he meant that he would meet me on the bus at 7:37. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, since that bus comes from the station, so they'll probably just ride it from the station and I'll jump on at my stop. It's good that I reflect on these things, otherwise, I may have been late for my first day.

I guess I should iron, eat a $1.50 apple, maybe some crackers, shower, watch some scrubs and go to sleep. I really should keep a budget so I can keep track of my money. I'll do that now. Hopefully it won't be too bad until I get paid. Which I'm not sure when that is either. This job is a hoax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home