Coffee and Huggbees

21 May, 2007

Meandering

Things are wrapping up, and becoming really busy for my last week. I'm still exhausted from going out on a last night, with painfully early work today; so my listing of events and nonsense are justified.

I have this problem with leaving glasses at a table with something still inside of them. Even water at restaurants, I always have to finish it before I can leave, or I feel wasteful. This is not a good quality when you go out with your company for a farewell party, where they order you unlimited drinks. I blame Cheuck entirely for me not being able to leave a drink half full. When you're with 50 other coworkers, that all want to order you their favorite drink, I'm left with a wall of glasses surrounding my plates, all barely touched. When it's time for everyone to leave for the next place, I'm left with too much to drink, and not enough time. And this is the problem. It gets temporarily resolved by me finishing them quickly, but that only compounds the problem since the next place we are going to is, ofcourse, a bar.

We arrive at this Snack Bar, and snack bars are places you pay an inflated price for drinks, and to have two or three middle aged women pour you drinks and flirt with you. They did have actual snacks, too, although I think that was just a coincidence. After being accosted by the most drunk of the hostesses, she became far too "handsy" for my comfort. While she was making the rounds and molesting people, I moved behind the bar and barricaded myself between the company's chairman and the less-drunk, but more importantly, less "handsy" hostess.

Sunday was spent napping in a rec center while everyone else from AIESEC was sitting through meetings. Followed by going out to yet another izakaya. I get clingy and never want to go home after going out, so a few of us head to...another izakaya. We eventually are forced to leave, and judgment tells me that it's a good idea to catch the last train home to try and sleep for a few hours. This also involves a 4 km walk in the cold since no more buses are running this late.

Odd things that I discovered, in Japan, the term "smart" has nothing to do with intelligence, but instead means being horribly skinny and tall. It's also been pointed out that I am apparently very proud at how long my legs are, although I'm not clear on how that conclusion was reached.

I can get through most conversations by nodding and making affirmative grunting sounds, as was the case this morning when some elderly lady made small talk with me at the bus stop. This isn't the normal old lady that I talk to, but was an ancient lady. She went on about how small the roads used to be before the war, and how everything's changed. I really wish I could have understood more, but it was 7am, and I am unable to comprehend much that early, regardless of what language it's in.

Only a week left, with the goals to:
-get naked in a public bath
-hug everyone I meet (excluding at the bath)
-try to take more pictures
-finally learn how to play hanafuda
-convince Seko to get a tattoo

I think they're all doable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home