Coffee and Huggbees

28 January, 2007

This Means Nothing Without Pictures

Saturday morning was spent trying to find the post office. Once I did, I discovered they were closed, and will only be open while I am at work. I was told that I could buy stamps at a convenience store, but I have no idea how much postage I should put on each letter.

Afterwards, I needed to break a 10,000 yen bill so I could easily get an all day bus/subway pass. I had time before I was going to meet people at the aquarium, so I stopped by a coffee shop near my apartment. The coffee was alright, I guess, but the waitress was really interested in where I was from and practicing English, so we might get together next weekend to practice.

I finally took some pictures around my apartment:


I caught the bus to the station, the train to the other station, and walked to the aquarium. I met with Kimihiko and Yohei, and took the best picture...ever:



After the revelation, we went to a replica of a Venetian village, then I headed home to nap. I wanted to go to Sakae, the club district, and the last bus out of my area to the station was at 10pm. The first bus back from the station was at 6:15am. So if I wanted to go out at all, it would have to be for all night. I napped, and by napped, I mean played Castlevania until 9:30, got dressed, and caught the last bus.

I didn't really have a plan on where to go, but I had read about this English pub. Really wanting a London Porter, I went there hoping to find. Ofcourse, I got lost first, but the area was interesting to walk around in. There's a small park running the length of the road, with a TV tower at one end that looked like the Eiffel Tower. A group of kids were playing music in the park, and seeing as how my ipod died on the train ride there, I stood around and listened.

I finally found the English pub, and had a feeling of not fitting in. Well, technically, the feeling was fitting in too much. I can't stand not standing out, and in a rural area of Japan, I stand out almost always. In this bar, it was all really drunk American and Australian people, as well as a few desperate looking Japanese girls that looked close to 40. They didn't have London Porter, so after a quick Negra, I took off. I just didn't want to hang around there anymore.

I tried to find another bar, but the majority in the area were either hostess bars, or members only. I debated going to a club, but couldn't justify $30 to listen to awful pre-recorded dance music by myself. I apparently wandered into the redlight district, which I often do, and as soon as I was offered a massage on the street, I knew I wasn't going to meet anyone I wanted to get to know in the area. It was only midnight or so at this time, and I still had 6 hours to kill. I walked over to Osu, a couple train stations away, to look for graffiti to photograph. Most of it was bad tags, and I couldn't find the big tentacle piece that I had seen a couple days earlier.

Disappointed with the rebellious youth of Japan's artistic talent, I stumbled on a Denny's. So, yet again, it was my hotel for the night. Flipping through the menu, I made a profound discovery. Chicken Jambalaya. Intrigued, I ordered it. A horrible mistake. A combination of stale rice, what I later discovered to be hot dog slices, chicken pieces, and mayonnaise did not sit well with me. I sat in the Denny's, in pain, for the next few hours dozing over Gulliver's Travels. I finally catch the first train back, showered, then slept until noon. Today will be a much more lowkey day, in hopes to save money. I have some pictures to organize, some stuff to finish reading, emails to write, and laundry to do. Fun fun fun.



Oh, and a Flickr update.


EDIT: I always forget things that I intend to mention. First, at the aquarium, there was a giant robotic penguin that danced and sang "The Yellow Rose of Texas." I have never been more appalled and entertained at the same time. Second, this Japanese comedy troupe from some tv show was at the replica village filming a segment, which included multiple camera pans of me standing there watching. Then us slowly edging our way towards the camera while filming. I only hope that I can catch it on tv or someone uploads it to youtube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home