Coffee and Huggbees

06 February, 2007

書くつもりですが。。。

Note: I'm too lazy to try and post different things both in mixi and on here, so for now, this will just get rehashed posts from mixi. With the exception of a quick rundown of my weekend:

Friday: dinner, drinking; clubbing, drinking; restaurant, drinking; leave the restaurant after everyone except for Diana, the trainee from Canada, and myself have fallen asleep, to find another bar, drinking.

Saturday: mild hangover, buy crazy dioramas of Japanese homes (I love tiny things), buy record albums, meet Diana and George, the trainee from England's workplace, at an English speaking cafe/pub. Then make the last bus back home to fall asleep watching Scrubs.

Sunday: show up for a presentation by AIESEC about the differences between Canada and Japan, specifically McDonald's and Valentine's Day. We then continue with making pancakes and more drinking. We then head off for some people to go bowling, while I leave early to again, catch the bus. Luckily, a co-worker is loaning me a bike, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Oh, and the little things in Japan are what makes it so enjoyable to live here. Like buying sake in the middle of a train station, and walking around drinking it. I was entertained.


Rehashed Post:

So I figured that using mixi, it would give me another chance to practice Japanese. Then I realized how horrible my written Japanese is, although I'm not much better at speaking it. So I'll go back and forth between language, with horribly simplistic Japanese thrown in.

私の書く日本語はとても下手ですね。

See?

先週末に、炊飯器を買いたいでした。でも、ちょっと高いです。それは、ぜんぜんごはんを食べません。昨日、英会話時に、私はことを言いました。今日、所長は炊飯器は持って来るに貸しました。

。。。が、問題がありました。アメリカで、両親の炊飯器は使うやさしです。オースティンで、私のアパートの炊飯器も使うやさしです。"Cook"と"Warm"だけがあります。この炊飯器はくるまにみたいです。たくさん分からないボタンあります。大変です。

それは、今日はピーナッツバターサンドイッチだけ食べました。

Other than rice cookers that look like some sort of flying vehicle, today went well, as did the weekend. Clubbing, drinking, eating, drinking, and me wasting money on vinyl records. Crazy clear vinyl 7" Arcade Fire record. I don't even have a record player in Japan...oh well.

Plus this weekend I got to meet a bunch of people from the other AIESEC in Nagoya, which was a lot of fun. I'm still awful at remembering names, though. Although I have trouble remembering names in English as well, so it's apparently not just Japanese names.

来週末の月曜日は休みですね。日曜日から月曜日まで、どこかへ行きたいです。岐阜へ?どこへ行くか分かりません。でも、2日3月は裸祭りですけど、いっしょうにだれも行きたいか!?

Oh, some old lady at the bus stop today had a backpack on. As I approached her, I noticed that across the back it said "Bitch" in giant letters. I had no idea if I should take a picture with my loud phone, or try to explain to the lady what it meant. I chose to just ignore it. I've had to explain too many words that I would never have expected since I've been here. It's only been 3 weeks, but try explaining the meaning and usages of "bollocks." In another language. That you're not familiar with. It's not easy.

Every day during lunch, I meet with some people to teach English/ask them questions/sit around and talk in English for half an hour. It's fun, and gives me a chance to see how people actually begin to acquire secondary languages. Which I guess is my true passion with linguistics. L2 language acquisition.

英会話はしたいば、私にメッセージに送ります。I think I'll start setting aside a time where if anyone is interested in learning either English, or just about American Culture (well, specifically, Austin Culture), they can meet me somewhere. I also think I'll try to convince my boss to allow me time to prepare English lessons twice a week for anyone else that might be interested. Not only will it get me out of work, but I enjoy it.



Dear lord, I've listened to this Inoculate The Innocuous song by the Unicorns more times in the past day than I should have. The album title, in addition to recently posted pictures from this weekend, have reminded me that I desperately need to cut my hair. I think I'll try to butcher it myself before trying to find a barber this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home